Deploying Already?! Pre-Deployment

I know, I know... I just joined! How did I get a deployment already?! From what I hear, deployment assignments have been difficult to come by in the past few years for those who were seeking them. However, the life of a medical officer is a bit different from that of a combat soldier. I'm a member of the 44th Medical Brigade, which responds to a lot of humanitarian needs and medical training exercises. For example, while I was in BOLC, many soldiers from the unit I was assigned to were sent to Texas to respond to the COVID relief effort. I arrived on base just as they were returning! Also, there is an annual training event for austere medicine in Senegal that I also missed out on while I was at JECC. There are opportunities out there! 

For me, I was eager to get some experience under my belt and I wanted to venture away from the hospital whenever possible. During a training exercise in the field, I told my commander that I was eager to contribute and my home life was in a great position for me to deploy if needed. He told me at that time that he didn't know of any upcoming opportunities. Months later, I heard through the grapevine that an Iraq deployment was coming up but a different unit was being utilized. Next thing I knew, I was told that my name had been put in by my commander (the one I asked for opportunities) to replace someone who wouldn't or couldn't deploy. I was essentially plucked from my small surgical detachment and placed in a slot with the field hospital in order to staff a Role 3 down range. I was so excited (but very nervous to tell my husband) for an opportunity!

Preparation for deployment was an absolute beast on its own. Not only do you have to get your finances, personal responsibilities, family life situated to operate without you... but you also have the massive task of making yourself "deployable". This means you have to update a million things to make sure they don't expire while you're overseas. For example: 

    Annual online training

    Medical assessment (PHA, PDHA, hearing, vision, bloodwork, etc)

    Certifications (CPR, CCRN, ALS, etc)

    Licenses (Nursing, providers, etc)

    Memberships (this one is more of a personal preference, I renewed my AACN)

    Immunizations... R.I.P. my deltoids.

Then, you have the military tasks required to leave. For me, I had to attend the range in order to qualify before leaving. That was an entire day gone! You also have to go to the issuing facility on your base to receive gear that you need for deployment. This may not be the issue if you've been in for a while but I'd been on base for a year and had never been mobilized. I needed a vest, ACH (helmet), rucksack, cold weather gear, ammo pouches, and the list goes on! That was yet another day gone. My poor little SUV was bursting at the seams. We also had to complete "the gas chamber"... for assumed reasons! I believe this is annual training for most anyway.




When you think your brain can't handle any more information, you have a ton of paperwork to keep together just for your unit. Paperwork for home and personal tasks was a different animal. You have to have proof of everything you've updated and make sure that your life insurance and emergency data forms are all updated... about 5 times, to be ABSOLUTELY SURE. I can't tell you how many times I handed over a copy of those. I needed a POA for my husband to make life decisions without me, and a living will just in case. The legal office at the soldier's center was very quick and helpful. All IDs have to be updated to be sure they don't expire (that includes your second form of ID for travel... check those driver's licenses!). If you have dependents you also have to submit a family care plan that details what will happen with your children while you're gone. For those who are single parents, this may be a tough task, as it must be approved by your command after you submit. Have a solid plan and trustworthy people ready to watch over your loved ones. Luckily, I'm blessed with a wonderful husband who is an awesome dad. He stepped up to the task without hesitation and was proud to take over full responsibility of the household. My cat wasn't entirely convinced, though... he's a momma's boy. 

Everything on the deployment to-do list took about 2 months in total. During that entire time, I couldn't even make time to work shifts at the hospital, as we had formations almost every day and did many things together as a group. Those flying in from out of state were in a desperate scramble toward the end, bless them. Mercifully, we were given block leave before deployment to relax and spend time with family for about 2 weeks. I enjoyed my time cleaning the house and playing with my son and furbaby in the afternoons and watched movies and shows with my husband after bed time. I did a ton of research as a type A personality, and found a few online that guided me in my flurry of activity. Here are two of them! 

https://content.usaa.com/mcontent/static_assets/Media/Deployment_Checklist_082009.pdf

https://www.military.com/deployment/pre-deployment-checklists.html

The last thing I'd suggest you do if you're going to deploy is to look ahead for your finances. You will be getting an increase in pay while away, and sometimes you'll get extra depending on the area you're stationed in. You're eligible for extra benefits and savings while away, and you can stash a really nice amount in savings or contribute to investments quite a bit. You're also eligible for some relief on student loans and other debt payments, as well as breaking from leases early. Try this link to learn more about financial tasks to look into!

https://planmydeployment.militaryonesource.mil/pre-deployment/service-members/financial-matters-five-steps-to-take-before-deployment/

Here are a few photos from our field exercise before we left, as well as saying goodbye to my family </3 good luck to anyone else out there preparing to deploy (or currently deployed)!

 




 Thanks for reading!

**All information provided is in an advisory tone, and no details about specific locations or dates are revealed. This was my personal experience and may differ in requirements according to a separate mission**


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fort Bragg- Reporting

Up Next... BOLC (Basic Officer Leadership Course)

"Lost Lieutenant" - I know nothing.