BOLC... The Fun Part!

 But it wasn't me! 

Of note, We did not have many privileges on base during the pandemic, aside from alcohol (in your rooms alone, at first). Some hotels have pools, but during the first few weeks our BOLC class was reprimanded for "partying at the pools" and the privilege was ripped out from under us. What?! Turns out, another group attending another course was the culprit, but we still weren't allowed to swim and gather until after the field was over. The field training and the weeks following were the days we all really got to know each other and I must say I really loved my platoon and my squad. We all got along really well together and each of us brought something special to the table. 

Shout outs: 

    The Cunninghams, a married prior service couple who were well versed in weapon handling and "the way things are done", always eager to help with our multitude of issues and questions.

    CPT Bentley, My roommate from DCC and battle buddy through the whole thing. She helped keep me sane when I was missing my family or not feeling like doing my PT, and always picked me when everyone else was paired up. 

    Cpt Coleman, our PL who managed to hold on tight to his sanity during the entire course and relentlessly championed our cause. What a champ! 

    LT Brady, who always volunteered for my S4 details and helped carry radios/batteries/magazines all over the place, and helped me with my weapon issues every single time I screwed it up. 

    LT Bosch, our fearless and chill squad leader, with great ROTC knowledge and cool/collected direction when all of us were clueless. Herding us all together wasn't always easy.

I volunteered for the S4 position before I really knew what it was. Oops! S4 in the "logistics officer" in charge of keeping track of equipment and important items, as well as maintaining cleanliness of the classrooms and locking things up. This meant I had to sign out multitudes of compasses, radios, batteries, gear, and little things we needed to complete field training. Tough job for someone short like me, but I loved the practice and enjoyed having a tiny bit of "real" responsibility. 

Field Training

In the original course, the field training was Mon-Fri two weeks in a row with a break on the weekends, and then a few days during the third week. However, due to COVID issues, some things were removed from the exercise due to social distancing concerns, and it was shortened to 8 straight days. Combatives was something I was really looking forward to that we never got to learn. I hope the next class goes back to the old version! However, we still learned a lot and I'm grateful for the experience. 

There are leadership positions that are assigned during the field training to evaluate leadership skills. Not everyone gets assigned, but they rotate to try and give as many people a chance as possible. I was given The first leadership position on the first day, which was Convoy Commander. More on that later.

Here we are, loading up to leave on the bus! it's about a 30 min ride to Camp Bullis. 

 


Day 1: Zeroing at the range with the m4. Everyone helps set up a shade tent and then you literally shoot all day to tailor your sights to your shooting so that your rifle is as accurate as possible. This was a HOT day, so make sure you hydrate and sit in shade when you can. Then we were taken back to the TTB (the field base) to settle in and unpack our stuff. We slept on cots with no pillow, so I suggest you buy a field pillow before you go! Your back stops aching by day 3-4.

Here I am, two cots down from CPT Bentley! I'm all sweaty and gross from a full day of sun, but happy to be in the AC. Yes, the tents have AC. Spoiled, I know. 

Day 2: we spent the day at the range again, "qualifying". This means that they take your best shooting score out of two attempts and it goes on your record for national guard and reserves. Active duty will have to do this again later, so it doesn't count. Great practice with the rifle! We also got a chance to check out some of the vehicles used for medical evacuation. Here I am checking out this bad boy: 



Days 3-4-5: These days all blurred together. We had some practice handling the radios, M17 pistols, and M4 rifles. Later in the course, you're tested on your ability to put together and operate the radio, take apart and put together your weapons, and provide basic medical care to mannequins. This is called "Tactical Combat Casualty Care". Don't panic, they teach you there. Basically, you apply a tourniquet/sealed dressing/bandage for a few different wounds. We also had a short lecture on conducting a convoy operation, and how it should look. Later in the field training, the whole group plans and undertakes a convoy to another location, and holy cow was that a big task. I had to draw a map on the sand table and explain where we were going and all the small things that go into the convoy. Accountability for persons and equipment was a big task alone, but I got to ride up front in the first humvee and operate the radio to talk to the rest of my convoy. I was in charge of 2 humvees and 4 larger vehicles that carried more soldiers. 

Here I am, right before we moved out! Can you tell I'm excited?


Here we are in the teaching tent, cooling off while we learn about the weapons and practice handling them. (You can spot our lynch leader in the blue mask, looking like he's dreading being told how to do all of this. He's already a pro)

                          

The last three days are considered the "Iron Hammer", which is designed to introduce rigor. Traditionally, you spend the last three days out of the base without showers or a bed and you sleep on the ground. However, due to the heat and a handful of heat casualties the week before Iron Hammer, they decided to allow us to return to the base each night to sleep in the AC. The last three days consist of the Convoy, setting up and moving the Role 1 facility (a tent with a few cots that is close to the front line), setting up the helipad and calling in a helicopter to pickup your casualty, manning a Role 2 facility (the hard tent at base with more capabilities such as xray and lab), and the single unit tactics lanes or "SUT lanes". SUT lanes was my favorite, as we all got to trek through the woods in formation and use the hand signals we learned in order to handle different situations. Also, we got to fire blanks. To a prior civilian, blanks are exciting. 


Left: Checking out the bird

Right: Preparing to throw the grenade

Giving a brief in class.. 



Right: The teaching tent

Left: CPT Bentley fed up with the heat

                        

                                                                                

Left: Watching the bird touch down

Right: There goes our Mannequin!


The last few days are very long and hot, with a lot going on. Looking back, I really enjoyed it and I wish I could do it again with my platoon because I already miss them. Before and during the actual field training, it's somewhat miserable and there's a lot of standing around. Just try to enjoy the moment, because it goes super fast! 

Here are some pictures of the gear we took to the field and what we were supposed to pack. Of course, they give you a packing list, but I found it helpful to see it all set out before we left. 





Holy Gear! All of this is issued to you after quarantine. Get with a prior service person if you don't want to be called out for having your helmet cover backwards or your pouches in the wrong spot on your vest. Yes, that was me. 



Right now, the whole class is broken into groups by specialty, so the last two weeks of the course I will be with the nurses and NPs and CRNAs. We take this time to learn about the nurse corp and all the places we can go with our careers. Then it's off to my first duty station, Fort Bragg! I have 4 days to travel and pick up my family on the way. I can't wait to take pictures of that madness, traveling with two pets and a toddler across the country. Stay tuned, and thank you for reading! I hope there's someone out there who is reading this in preparation to attend BOLC who got something helpful out of it. 




Comments

  1. Thanks for this blog! I'm definitely learning!! I am a reservist, and on my end it says BOLC is only 2 weeks long, is it longer for AD? Sounds like you were at BOLC for a while (minus the quarantine).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fort Bragg- Reporting

Up Next... BOLC (Basic Officer Leadership Course)

"Lost Lieutenant" - I know nothing.