"Lost Lieutenant" - I know nothing.

 Hello Everyone! 

    I'm so excited to see a few military folk peeking at my blog for insider information, I'm tickled that my blog has reached beyond family members who are trying to keep up with my life. Thank you!

    In my last post, I covered the move to Fort Bragg after our goods were shipped. First off, let me tell you, those movers can MOVE! The moving office called me to set up a drop off time, and the truck pulled up in our tiny subdivision with all of our crap. Those 3 guys moved our stuff like they were in the Kentucky Derby, and we lifted absolutely nothing. When they're finished you have to sign a ton of papers saying that you received everything and nothing is damaged or lost. BE THOROUGH, and don't worry about how long they have to wait for you to sign because if anything is cracked, shattered, dented, they have to replace it or reimburse you. Those electronics are worth it. While you're waiting for the truck, I'd recommending packing a "first day box" with paper towels, cleaner, TP, paper plates, etc for the first few days in your empty house. You ARE authorized a hotel room stay usually while waiting for housing, get in contact with your sponsor/commander if you are unsure about that. 

Housing

BAH is awesome and all... but so is not having to mow or call someone to fix the AC in the middle of summer. I also love having a playground on literally every block on base to keep my son busy. For these reasons and many more, we chose to live on base. Corvias is the company that manages all of the housing on base, and they handle your housing situation. I made sure to get on a waiting list for housing well in advance when I reported to DCC. The Corvias website gave me galleries to click through and a very easy "relocating" application option. After applying, I called them and customer service walked me through the process. Corvias simply takes up all of my BAH and they coordinate with finance so I had to do NOTHING in regards to money for housing. Very easy! Once a house opened up and my turn came, they emailed me pictures of the space and set up a walk-through time. You have a finite amount of time (24hrs i think mine was) to decide whether or not to accept the house, and if you decline, I believe you go back to the bottom of the waitlist. We loved how big it was, so we snagged it! (pictures very soon)

If you choose to rent, coordinate with the housing office first before signing any leases. They will look through them first and ensure you don't get scammed and that you're treated fairly. They also partner with some rental agencies that are trusted. Find one for lower than your BAH nearby,, and pocket that dough! Just keep in mind the gate traffic when you are looking into drive-time. I HATE waiting in line at the gate during morning/evening hours. 

MAP - Huh?

I'm a 66S, or ICU Nurse. This means I take care of ICU patients at the hospital on base for my "duty hours". However, I belong to a unit that can be pieced onto a field hospital if needed. My unit is a surgical detachment with the ability to staff an OR, 12 ICU beds, lab, pharmacy, and even physical therapy. I work at the hospital while the rest of the enlisted folk in my unit do unit duties (like paperwork, supply, armory, etc). Essentially, the base hospital babysits me until I'm needed for training/field/deployment. As I'm an officer, I'm expected to keep up my fitness and PT scores on my own, I am not required to show up for daily PT. I also work shifts at the hospital that start right in the middle of PT times, so this would not be realistic. However, I still came in for a few PT sessions at my unit while I was off just to get to know everyone, and I can't tell you how nice it is to put a face to a name when you start needing things later. 

Tips (for those new to the Army like me)

Please don't judge, because looking back these made sense but I had no idea what I was doing...

    Height and Weight is performed in PTs. NOT your cammies. Idiot.

    The cafeteria in the hospital is still a DFAC and meal card holders still eat there. That's why it's             crowded.

    Register any weapons you have with the visitor center on base. DO NOT get caught with it in your        car without registration, and keep ammo separate. 

    The gate randomly inspects a certain number of vehicles per day. If it's you, be kind and courteous        and usually they will do the same (if you had no idea your gun had to be registered, for instance). 

    The soldiers at the gate solute you... and my marine husband told me not to salute back, as you                 aren't at attention in the car. Just smile, nod, and thank them (I guess?)

    The Barber shops on base don't cut female hair often. Or well. 

    Half the friends you make are about to leave. I ask this early in the conversation, like a speed date,         just to be prepared for future heartache. 

    1st SGT can be like a position and not a rank. For instance, my unit 1SGT is a SFC. 

    Bring water to PT

    Don't wait to buy winter PTs, because they are not optional. Shorts in the snow is a civilian choice.

    The more extracurriculars you volunteer for (trunk or treating, obstacle courses, Foundational days),     the more your peers and command become familiar with you. This is a GOOD thing!

Picture time..

Myself all packed up tight in my car for the trip to Fort Bragg

My cat, obviously very happy to have mom back home <3


The previously mentioned Trunk or treat with the company (we were pirates!)




My super cute kiddo at the neighborhood Easter egg hunt and a playground (perks of base life!)

Another post coming next about a few fun things I've done with my unit so far!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fort Bragg- Reporting

Up Next... BOLC (Basic Officer Leadership Course)