MEPS while waiting on Nursing Board to meet

MEPS (April 1 2019) 

MEPS is the day you go to a dedicated building to be medically evaluated for approval to join, and receive any waivers for medical conditions you may have. Enlisted folks (who are not medical) usually leave for basic FROM meps when they're finished, and you will NOT. Don't freak out. *Bring any documentation you have about surgeries you've had or medical conditions* I took my record of my Csection 2 years prior and my most recent lady-exam.

First, I’ll start by advising that you shouldn’t believe everything you read about MEPS. A lot of those things you read will be written by someone enlisted (no degree, straight out of high school). Those people will (historically) be treated like cockroaches at MEPS, and your recruiter should be going with you to make sure that doesn’t happen. Sometimes they may not realize you’re signing up to be an officer until after you’ve been through a few stations, and then no one screams at you. 

I arrived early after a 2 hour drive, accompanied by my recruiter. He assisted me with check-in to make sure that I was listed correctly and that I made it through the security check and then said his good-bye. Only 13 people showed up as enlisted folks, and three of us were officers. We were separated from the beginning. After getting a nametag, you receive a folder full of forms and medical papers and you begin a long day of waiting. 


First I went to have my vision and hearing tested (no biggie) and it’s very quick unless you wear glasses. Then you sit down for about an hour filling out forms about health history… DONT work ahead of them. Very specific things you can’t mess up. 


Then, the doctor met with us individually. I was asked about the history I wrote down, she made her own notes and made sure I didn’t miss anything, flipped through my medical record that I brought, and I sat on the table. The first exam is a quick heart and lung check, looks in your ears and mouth, and pushes on your belly. Done! (Ladies, she does peek to make sure you are, in fact, a lady). The doc does a breast (and testicle for boys) exam, checks external genitalia, and hemorrhoids. NOT A PAP or pelvic exam. She didn’t want my pap documents unless there has been an abnormal. Yes, there will be a chaperone.


Next is urine and blood tests. Pretty standard, just don’t move unless you’re told. If you are whoozy about blood…. Let them know. During the urine test, they do not watch the women but they have a very strict step-by-step process so just wait to be told what to do.


Last, you do some range of motion and strength exercises. Enter the famous duck walk. If you have no idea what that is, google it and practice it once at home. Reminder… you’ll be doing this in underwear. Don’t let things be hangin’ out. I remember feeling like a horse on a exercise rope being jogged in a circle... it was just me and the other female officer and the doc watched us walk and jog in a circle around her in our undies... My cellulite was in full glory.


When you’re done, they’ll congratulate you and say you’re medically qualified to join! If you’re commissioning as an officer you do not swear in today. You wait until board approval (they thoroughly tried to convince me I would swear today, and they were wrong). I got my free lunch (while watching the enlisted folks say goodbye to family), checked out at the front desk, and walked my happy (tired) butt back to my car. Done by 1130!


TIPS

  • Ladies will be in bra and undies in front of other girls. DONT wear sexy undies.

Something comfortable only.  Guys, don’t wear the tight stuff that you can fall out of. Regular boxers (I heard this was appropriate)

  • Chug some water before you go in, but don’t overdo it. You never know if they’ll do the urine test last ;)

  • Bring a hair tie so the doc can see your shoulderblades touch. 

  • Comfortable shoes! You do medical stuff barefoot though. 

  • Don’t be an idiot and drink the night before. You’re given a breathalyzer. 

  • They try to scare you into telling every little thing that’s every medically happened to you (including stitches as a 4 year old). These will not disqualify you, but by all means tell them everything. Just don’t go into the doc’s office with sweaty pits, you’re fine. Unless you have Ebola or a gimpy walk, they will do what they can to help you to get through.

  • I did not need a waiver but some things can be approved by exception (waiver). I saw a few enlisted people get these on sight but I’m not sure how these work. Ask your recruiter. 

  • Lunch is provided… but it’s a cheap sub and chips. Plan to eat something great afterword, and eat right before.

  • You’ll be tired… sleep a lot the night before if you can. 

  • I had Zero time to go get the book I brought with me… it was all the way at the front of the building and I only waited maybe 5 minutes in a chair at a time. Pick your battles. 

  • I froze my ass off, so consider long sleeves. 

  • I was told to bring SSN, Birth cert, ID, and medical documents… I never pulled a single one out of my folder. But, I did as I was told just in case. 

   

In general, everyone was kind and helpful at MEPS. It’s a long day, but at the end you will leave all smiles (and be grateful you’re not shipping out at the end of the day with all the sullen looking teenagers). You’ll chuckle as you leave and be glad it’s over. 


Once MEPS is complete, your recruiter will upload your forms into the system and you’ll wait for your board to convene and decide your fate. Excruciating… try not to bug your recruiter too much, I’ve read about people who hear their decision anywhere from 3 weeks to several months after the board. 


I’m wasting my time looking up packing lists for BOLC while being optimistic that they’ll accept me. This is fun for a “type A” person like me ;)

Now the army motto: Hurry up and wait!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fort Bragg- Reporting

Up Next... BOLC (Basic Officer Leadership Course)

"Lost Lieutenant" - I know nothing.