Twiddling Thumbs... Welcome to the Army.

Overthinking in May 2019

I was doing some reading and forgot about my pets! I realized while I was reading through another army nurse’s blog that if accepted, I’ll be bringing the fur-babies with me. Several things are required in order for them to travel, so look these things up ahead of time. 

Since Hawaii was my #1 choice, I’ll caution you that it’s a rabies-free state so they quarantine each pet for a certain amount of time to make sure they have been vaccinated or to vaccinate them and wait a period of time for effectiveness… which can take several weeks. Poor babies :(


So, I promptly called the vet to schedule microchipping for the pooch (it was already done by the shelter for my cat). Most shelters these days make sure to microchip and spay/neuter pets before they are adopted. I’ve been procrastinating on the dog’s annual appointment for shots/booster/parasite check and I still have to microchip her. I’m going to take the time while I’m waiting (endlessly) to set up an appointment for these things and set aside the money (quite a bit. Just the annual stuff is $150, without the microchip which is an entire anesthesia charge). *Side Note* I later found out that Tractor Supply Co has vet clinics every Sunday for WAY cheap, you just have to stand in line with other dog owners. My golden was chipped and tested in under 5 minutes (and also pooped and peed on the floor under the stress… yay samples!)


To Travel you’ll need: (generalized list from reading airlines, no promises)

    Health certificate from vet that’s good for 10 days (for HI and overseas) just remember

this for now

    Microchip and the paperwork for it (MUST REGISTER YOUR INFO ONLINE AFTER

IT’S PLACED)

    Documentation of up-to-date shots (and spay/neuter if you’re going to housing with pets)

    Crate for dogs (must be able to stand/lay/turn around without head touching top) please

see airline requirements as certain types of crates are not acceptable

    Carrier for cats (in cabin up to 20lbs) Must be able to fit under the seat in front of you


When moving overseas, check with the destination base, Department of Agriculture, and consulate of the destination country for specific health, transport, and quarantine issues that may apply to your pet.


The website https://www.bringfido.com/travel/ lists airlines in alphabetical order and tells you the policies for each, which is super helpful! Read the bottom and fine print, as some airlines will NOT take certain breeds/sizes. They also will not board animals if past a certain temperature for safety reasons. After reading many comments and reviews I’ve gathered that if you do not have a backup plan or backup airline, you may REALLY regret it later. Just something to think about beforehand. My dad has always agreed to watch the dog when it’s necessary, and he’s happy to do it. Maybe ask a friend/family member to help in a pinch if your pet needs to stay behind a day or two.


My husband and I may opt to drive to our final station (we are unsure whether the military will be moving our things or not). In that case, the dog and cat will be safely tucked into the SUV with us, for the easy fee of a few kisses and treats <3


To end this week’s preparedness entry, I’ll conclude with the topic of money. Each pet is a fortune to move. The fee for the flight, extra days being held, being fed/let out, testing at the new location/quarantine, and prices for getting them up to date can really add up. Set aside money ahead of time and you’ll thank yourself later! Buying a new crate alone can be three digits for bigger dogs, if yours is not up to airlines standards. Take a peek at one or two airlines requirements and you’ll see what I mean. Happy Waiting!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fort Bragg- Reporting

Up Next... BOLC (Basic Officer Leadership Course)

"Lost Lieutenant" - I know nothing.